Rats and Compost The Compost Gardener
Answered by Harrod Horticultural Posted in Category Composting. Dear Martin. I have an ongoing problem with rats in and around my (regular black plastic) compost bin – they have even chewed through the plastic after I put wire around the bottom.... It is waterproof, rot proof, light weight, and best of all, RAT PROOF. More importantly it keeps a lot of biodegradable rubbish out of landfill which reduces our carbon foot print. We will also get some compost for the garden so reducing our reliance on manufactured fertilizers.
Comparing composting bins The Washington Post
Make your bird aviaries rat and snake-proof. Talk to your pet shop about ways to prevent snakes entering aviaries. Store bird seed in rodent-proof containers. Talk to your pet shop about ways to prevent snakes entering aviaries.... So hop on board and learn how to compost. While no two gardeners compost exactly alike, the basic steps are the same. While no two gardeners compost exactly alike, the basic steps are the same. Build or purchase a rodent-proof compost bin.
Maze 160L Roto Twin Compost Tumbler Bunnings Warehouse
Rat-proof compost bin By steve Posted on May 25, 2011 We have been composting all of our kitchen scraps soiled paper etc. for a quite a while now, but we failed to rat-proof our compost bin … how to make homemade wonton wrappers The pickled waste is then put straight onto the compost bin and then rots down extremely quickly. Which is great, but my motivation is that rats apparently hate bokashi pickled waste and give it a
Our Compost Station Good Life Permaculture
Build Compost Bin Homemade Compost Bin Garden Compost Vegetable Garden Making Compost Pallet Compost Bins Outdoor Compost Bin Wooden Compost Bin How To Compost Forward Get the compost bin plans for this three-crate system that will shave weeks off your composting process. how to open an electronic safe without the combination Make your bird aviaries rat and snake-proof. Talk to your pet shop about ways to prevent snakes entering aviaries. Store bird seed in rodent-proof containers. Talk to your pet shop about ways to prevent snakes entering aviaries.
How long can it take?
Rat-trapping compost bin disposes of rodent problem
- Gardenerd Organic Edible Gardening Rat-Proof Compost Bin
- Comparing composting bins The Washington Post
- How to rodent-proof your compost bin Press Gazette Media
- BBC NEWS Talk about Newsnight There's a rat in me
How To Make A Compost Bin Thats Rodent Proof
To make any compost bin rodent-proof, wrap it with metal mesh, called hardware cloth, with quarter-inch openings—including the top and the bottom. Or you can choose a tumbler-style composter, which consists of a drum that rotates on an axis, so instead of turning a pile with a pitchfork, you simply tumble the drum a few times to mix up the contents.
- Piles of wood stacked against the shed, compost bin, bricks or old lawn furniture have got to go! These are all prime hiding locations for rodents, inviting them closer to your shed. They can also collect standing water which rodents will utilize as a water source. Throw out whatever you don’t need. Rodents love cardboard boxes and will tunnel and nest inside of them. For what you do keep
- Materials high in carbon (e.g., dry leaves or dead plants) placed at the bottom of the compost pile and lining the walls of the bin can improve airflow, control odour, and help with drainage. Just be sure to keep this "brown" material moist.
- A rodent-resistant bin has a secure top and bottom, and no holes larger than 1/4 inch (6 mm). The most rodent resistant bins are enclosed in 1/4 inch (6 mm) wire mesh. In this example, we have constructed a less restrictive bin using a hinged wooden frame with chicken wire screening (found at your local hardware or garden supply store).
- Garden Compost Vegetable Garden Making A Compost Bin Diy Compost Bin Farm Gardens Outdoor Gardens Yard Waste Plantation Garden Structures Compost Gardening Garden Forward How To Make A Compost Bin From Hardware Cloth. probably wouldn't use for food scraps just yard clippings